J. Lohr 2013 Sauvignon Blanc, Carol's Vyd., St. Helena, Napa Valley
Item Number: 59 20 272 13
Founded more than three decades ago by Jerry Lohr, J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines crafts an array of acclaimed wines from estate grapes. Know primarily for their Central Coast wines, this wine is from their Napa Valley vineyard in St. Helena, where Sauvignon Blanc does very well. The vineyard is about 36 acres and about 10 is Sauvignon Blanc. It has well-drained, gravelly, sandy loam soil and ideal conditions bring concentrated ripe fruit. They ferment 70% of this wine in temperature controlled stainless steel and the other 30% goes into French Acacia wood barrels. The barrel fermented portion stays on the lees for 4 months with frequent stirrings. The acacia wood doesn't impart any woody flavors on the wines like oak would but allows the lees aging to give it a creamy texture and more complex profile especially when blended back with the steel fermented wine. Beverage Dynamics scored this 95 points saying "Named for Mr. Lohrís wife Carol, with a portion of proceeds going to breast cancer research. Classic Napa fruit, with a creamy texture and a perfume nose that offers up robust citrus hints. Rich and powerful with a lingering finish."